At Arco Academy we aim to help each student achieve the best results possible through a broad and balanced curriculum.
Each student arrives at Arco at a different level in their education so we work with the student to develop an Individual Learning Plan (ILP), based on their level and needs.
Developing an Individual Learning Plan
We use the following process to ensure we can help students achieve the best results possible:
- Initial assessment – on referral, each student undergoes both summative and formative assessments over a period of two weeks
- Baseline – the results of the assessment are reviewed alongside the student’s previous school results and a baseline is set
- Design – a tailored programme of study is designed, with the student’s involvement, to move them forward in their education. The ILP addresses academic, behavioural, personal and social targets
- Review – the student’s progress is tracked throughout their placement to ensure they are achieving their targets (with assessments every half term for English, Mathematics and Science, and other subjects where appropriate). The student’s social, emotional and behaviour targets are also tracked.
We hold Parents’ Days twice a year in the latter Autumn and Spring term to review each student’s progress, academic achievement and conduct.
What’s on Offer?
PE is taught daily. We offer basketball, athletics, boxing, fitness and football. The focus of these sessions is health, fitness and teamwork. We offer swimming once per week as part of the curriculum and an additional 2 times per week of additional swimming being optional.
We offer the following courses:
To name a few: English Language, Mathematics, Science (Biology) and PE
- Functional Skills/Entry Level
English and Mathematics – Levels 1 and 2
Maths and Science – Entry Level (1-3)
Health and Social Care
- Other qualifications
ASDAN Short courses (RSHE, Geography, History, Food, Beliefs and Values, Drama and Music)
Introduction to Python Programming (vocational programme)
Unit Award Scheme (Modern Foreign Languages – German and Spanish)
Vocational short courses (Photography)
- Offsite Vocational Qualifications
Introduction to the Motor Vehicle Industry and Technologies – Entry Level 3 (Award Certificate/Diploma), Carpentry – NCFE Creative Craft Award – Levels 1 and 2
Relationships, Sex and Health Education, Employability and Citizenship topics are discussed during mentor time, in small groups and during visits to cultural venues.
- Art Therapy
Life after school
We offer work experience for Year 10 and Year 11 students who have not yet accessed this. Long-term work-related placements are also available for students wishing to pursue their career.
We work with the Lewisham Work Experience Team who use the Gatsby Benchmark as a guide to offer career advice and assistance with Post-16 destinations.
If you have any questions about our curriculum or want more information:
Call us: 020 3189 1193
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.