Data Engineer Job Description
Locations: Arco Academy, Camberwell
Duration: 6 months fixed term contract with potential to extend
Working hours: 25 hours per week
Salary: National Minimum Wage
About Arco Academy:
Arco Academy is a registered independent alternative provision school with sports as a specialism. Situated in the heart of Camberwell, London, Arco Academy offers education to students referred by mainstream schools and the Local Authority. We have an emphasis in pastoral care and take a holistic approach towards education.
Our aim is to enhance the academic, wellbeing and personal growth for all students of all abilities.
We are committed to high-quality education and promoting our vision to unleash the potential we know exists in all our students, by providing a creative and tailor-made curriculum.
Every student is provided with the opportunity to learn, achieve and succeed to their highest potential. Consequently, we work diligently towards meeting the learning needs of our students. This includes encouraging participation in sports, development of essential life skills and nurturing a positive relationship within school and the community.
We believe all staff members play a vital role in the lives of our students. Therefore, we take a proactive approach to the development and wellbeing of all Arco staff. We are committed to investing in all staff through CPD, internal staff support and wellbeing development.
We pride ourselves on appreciating, promoting and celebrating the diversity and individuality of all students, staff and partners.
Arco Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All positions are subject to an enhanced DBS and other necessary checks.
For further information regarding Arco Academy policies, visit https://arco.academy/keyinformation/policies/#1598282602871-bf232412-6cd3 . Please ensure you have read the Safeguarding (Child Protection) Policy and Safer Recruitment Policy
As Data Engineer you will help to build a system that will automate the boring administrative tasks, freeing teachers to have more time to teach. Working alongside data scientists and educators, the Data Engineer will design, engineer, optimise and maintain production grade application.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are the main duties and responsibilities but are not intended to be exhaustive:
- Work alongside data scientists to design, engineer, optimise and maintain production grade data pipelines to feed into the algorithm
- Design and engineer a data model which can support growth ambitions
- Work with the team to understand how to make the best use of internal and external data sources
- Create frameworks and systems to manage and govern data assets
Qualifications and Relevant Experience
- A good standard of education to at least GCSE Grade C level or equivalent in English and Maths
- Experience developing industrialised data pipelines and designing data models
- Strong knowledge of database
- Proven experience writing Python and SQL
- Experience in PowerBI
- Experience with at least one cloud provider – Azure, GCP or AWS
Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to think and produce original and creative ideas
- Understanding of target audience, including demographics, behaviour and preferences
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team and on your own
- Ability to self-manage, and prioritise workloads effectively using initiative
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and adaptable
- Attention to detail
- Highly organised
- Ability to teach yourself new technical skills
- Willingness to undertake additional training
- Willingness to support with offsite visits as well as staff and student meetings
- Enthusiasm and resilience
Desirable qualities include:
- Currently working towards a degree or educated to a degree level in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience
- At least 1 years experience in a similar role
- Experience using Bromcom system or similar
- Up to date knowledge of Keeping Children Safe in Education, Safeguarding and GDPR compliance
- Preferable to have worked in a regulated or Start-up environment
- Hold an up to date fully enhanced DBS (must have before role commence