School Administrator Job Description
Locations: Arco Academy, Camberwell
Duration: 1-year fixed term contract with potential to extend
Working hours: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, 5 days-a-week (52 weeks)
Salary: £18,579 -£22,492 per annum
About Arco Academy:
Arco Academy is a registered independent alternative provision school with sports as a specialism. Situated in the heart of Camberwell, London, Arco Academy offers education to students referred by mainstream schools and the Local Authority. We have an emphasis in pastoral care and take a holistic approach towards education.
Our aim is to enhance the academic, wellbeing and personal growth for all students of all abilities.
We are committed to high-quality education and promoting our vision to unleash the potential we know exists in all our students, by providing a creative and tailor-made curriculum.
Every student is provided with the opportunity to learn, achieve and succeed to their highest potential. Consequently, we work diligently towards meeting the learning needs of our students. This includes encouraging participation in sports, development of essential life skills and nurturing a positive relationship within school and the community.
We believe all staff members play a vital role in the lives of our students. Therefore, we take a proactive approach to the development and wellbeing of all Arco staff. We are committed to investing in all staff through CPD, internal staff support and wellbeing development.
We pride ourselves on appreciating, promoting and celebrating the diversity and individuality of all students, staff and partners.
Arco Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All positions are subject to an enhanced DBS and other necessary checks.
For further information regarding Arco Academy policies, visit https://arco.academy/keyinformation/policies/#1598282602871-bf232412-6cd3 . Please ensure you have read the Safeguarding (Child Protection) Policy and Safer Recruitment Policy
As the School Administrator, you will assist in the management of Arco Academy administration, support systems and activities that keep an education institution running smoothly.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are the main duties and responsibilities but are not intended to be exhaustive:
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people
- Establish standardised administrative systems, processes and working practices across the school
- Organise and facilitate the upkeep of contact records, including student, staff and trustee contact information
- Assist with organising meeting rooms (booking space, arranging furniture etc.)
- Assist in the coordination of meeting and the preparation of major school events. This includes student & staff interviews, student inductions meeting student reviews as well as parent evenings
- Take minutes at meetings when required
- Draft letters (including students and other stakeholder letters)
- Communicate with schools, other institutions, external agencies, government departments and prospective students
- Use information systems and prepare reports and statistics for both internal and external use
- To work with the Welfare Officer to establish the reason for nonattendance, make assessments and agree a plan for facilitating a return to school using appropriate strategies within specified timescales
- To work on initiatives which raise the awareness of school staff, parents and the community on the importance of school attendance
- To manage the school phone and email inbox
- To manage and contribute to the writing of half-termly school newsletter
- Facilitate in the purchase and the maintenance of office equipment, such as printers, computers, scanners and photocopiers
- Welcome visitors to the school, including parents as well as governors and, dealing with their enquiries
- Assist with school lunch duties and after school bus stop walks
- Organise and facilitate a variety of educational or social activities
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required
- A good standard of education to at least GCSE Grade C level or equivalent in English and Mathematics
- At least 2 years experience in a similar role
- Operate relevant equipment/ICT packages (e.g. word, excel, databases, spreadsheets, Internet)
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Highly organised
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to foster constructive relationships with, and gain the confidence of, young people, parents/carers and colleagues
- Exceptional communication with all age groups and abilities, both oral and written
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment independently and as part of a team
- Ability to self-manage, and prioritise workloads effectively using initiative
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and adaptable
- Ability to analyse and revise operating practices to improve efficiency
- Willingness to undertake additional training
- Willingness to support with offsite visits as well as staff and student meetings
Desirable qualifications include:
- Educated to a degree level
- Current First Aid certificate
- Up to date knowledge of Keeping Children Safe in Education, Safeguarding and GDPR compliance
- Experience/knowledge of Bromcom or other similar school information system
- Knowledge of InVentry system
- Hold an up to date fully enhanced DBS (must have before role commences)