Teaching Assistant Job Description
Locations: Arco Academy, Camberwell
Duration: 6 months fixed term contract with potential to extend
Working hours: 25 hours per week
Salary: National Minimum Wage
Arco Academy is a registered independent alternative provision school with sports as a specialism. Situated in the heart of Camberwell, London, Arco Academy offers education to students referred by mainstream schools and the Local Authority. We have an emphasis in pastoral care and take a holistic approach towards education.
Our aim is to enhance the academic, wellbeing and personal growth for all students of all abilities.
We are committed to high-quality education and promoting our vision to unleash the potential we know exists in all our students, by providing a creative and tailor-made curriculum.
Every student is provided with the opportunity to learn, achieve and succeed to their highest potential. Consequently, we work diligently towards meeting the learning needs of our students. This includes encouraging participation in sports, development of essential life skills and nurturing a positive relationship within school and the community.
We believe all staff members play a vital role in the lives of our students. Therefore, we take a proactive approach to the development and wellbeing of all Arco staff. We are committed to investing in all staff through CPD, internal staff support and wellbeing development.
We pride ourselves on appreciating, promoting and celebrating the diversity and individuality of all students, staff and partners.
Arco Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All positions are subject to an enhanced DBS and other necessary checks.
For further information regarding Arco Academy policies, visit https://arco.academy/key-information/policies/#1598282602871-bf232412-6cd3 . Please ensure you have read the Safeguarding (Child Protection) Policy and Safer Recruitment Policy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate an informed and efficient approach to teaching and learning by adopting relevant strategies to support the work of the teacher and increase achievement of all pupils including, where appropriate, those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)
- Promote, support and facilitate inclusion by encouraging participation of all pupils in learning and extracurricular activities
- Use effective behaviour management strategies consistently in line with the Academy’s policy and procedures
- Support class teachers with maintaining good order and discipline among pupils, managing behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment
- Organise and manage teaching space and resources to help maintain a stimulating and safe learning environment
- Observe pupil performance and pass observations on to the class teacher and SLT
- Supervise a class if the teacher is temporarily unavailable
- Undertake any other relevant duties given by the class teacher
- Assist with school lunch duties and after school bus stop walks
- Make a positive contribution to the wider life and ethos of the Academy
- Reflecting on own practice, liaising with school lea
- A good standard of education to at least GCSE Grade C level or equivalent in English and Mathematics
- Operate relevant equipment/ICT packages (e.g. word, excel, databases, spreadsheets, Internet)
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Highly organised
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to foster constructive relationships with, and gain the confidence of, young people, parents/carers and colleagues
- Exceptional communication with all age groups and abilities, both oral and written
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment independently and as part of a team
- Ability to self-manage, and prioritise workloads effectively using initiative
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and adaptable
- Willingness to undertake additional training
- Willingness to support with offsite visits as well as staff and student meetings
Desirable qualifications include:
- Educated to a degree level
- Current First Aid certificate
- At least 1 years experience in a similar role
- Up to date knowledge of Keeping Children Safe in Education, Safeguarding and GDPR compliance
- Experience/knowledge of Bromcom or other similar school information system
- Hold an up to date fully enhanced DBS (must have before role commence)