Website Developer Job Description
Locations: Arco Academy, Camberwell
Duration: 6 months fixed term contract with potential to extend
Working hours: 25 hours per week
Salary: Up to £8.91 per hour
About Arco Academy:
Arco Academy is a registered independent alternative provision school with sports as a specialism. Situated in the heart of Camberwell, London, Arco Academy offers education to students referred by mainstream schools and the Local Authority. We have an emphasis in pastoral care and take a holistic approach towards education.
Our aim is to enhance the academic, wellbeing and personal growth for all students of all abilities.
We are committed to high-quality education and promoting our vision to unleash the potential we know exists in all our students, by providing a creative and tailor-made curriculum.
Every student is provided with the opportunity to learn, achieve and succeed to their highest potential. Consequently, we work diligently towards meeting the learning needs of our students. This includes encouraging participation in sports, development of essential life skills and nurturing a positive relationship within school and the community.
We believe all staff members play a vital role in the lives of our students. Therefore, we take a proactive approach to the development and wellbeing of all Arco staff. We are committed to investing in all staff through CPD, internal staff support and wellbeing development.
We pride ourselves on appreciating, promoting and celebrating the diversity and individuality of all students, staff and partners.
Arco Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All positions are subject to an enhanced DBS and other necessary checks.
For further information regarding Arco Academy policies, visit https://arco.academy/keyinformation/policies/#1598282602871-bf232412-6cd3 . Please ensure you have read the Safeguarding (Child Protection) Policy and Safer Recruitment Policy.
As Website Developer, you will plan, create and code web pages, using both technical and nontechnical skills to produce websites that fit the Academy requirements.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are the main duties and responsibilities but are not intended to be exhaustive:
- Draw up detailed website specifications
- Design sample page layouts including text size and colours
- Design graphics, animations and manipulate digital photographs
- Register web domain names and organise the hosting of the website
- Present initial design ideas to SLT
- Carry out coding using a variety of software
- Work with different content management systems
- Search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Meet relevant legal requirements such as accessibility standards, freedom of information and privacy
- Design the website’s visual imagery and ensure it’s in line with the Academy branding policy or the requirements of the client
- Proofread content and make changes where necessary
- Edit content, debug code and re-design web pages
- Test website to ensure it’s working
- Research current design trends
- Undertake continuing professional development (CPD) activities to keep up to date with new software developments
- Increase traffic and appeal to target audiences of Arco Academy
- Use programming skills to build pages and applications
- Measure key performance indicators on Arco website
Qualifications and Relevant Experience
- A good standard of education to at least GCSE Grade C level or equivalent in English and Maths
- Knowledge and experience of all major programming disciplines (webpage programming, scripting, imaging, animation, multimedia design)
Skills and Knowledge:
- Great communication skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Creativity and graphic design skills
- Proficiency in Marketing disciplines
- Ability to think and produce original and creative ideas
- Technical skills in one of the following :
– Programming – .net, XML/XSLT, ASP, PHP, Python, Django
– Design and graphics – InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash
– Content management system (CMS) – WordPress, Adobe Business Catalyst, Drupal, Joomla, Ektron, Zop
- Understanding of target audience, including demographics, behaviour and preferences
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team and on your own
- Ability to self-manage, and prioritise workloads effectively using initiative
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and adaptable
- Attention to detail
- Highly organised
- Ability to teach yourself new technical skills
- Willingness to undertake additional training
- Willingness to support with offsite visits as well as staff and student meetings
- Enthusiasm and resilience
Desirable qualities include:
- Working towards a degree or educated to a degree level in one of the following: Computer Science, Digital Media Production, Fine Art, Graphic Design, Information Technology, Multimedia Web Design, Software Engineering, or Web Design
- At least 1 years experience in a similar role
- Experience using Bromcom system or similar
- Up to date knowledge of Keeping Children Safe in Education, Safeguarding and GDPR compliance
- Hold an up to date fully enhanced DBS (must have before role commence)