Personal Assistant Job Description
Locations: Arco Academy, Camberwell
Duration: 1-year fixed term contract with potential to extend
Working hours: 6 months fixed term contract with potential to extend
Salary: National Minimum Wage
About Arco Academy:
Arco Academy is a registered independent alternative provision school with sports as a specialism. Situated in the heart of Camberwell, London, Arco Academy offers education to students referred by mainstream schools and the Local Authority. We have an emphasis in pastoral care and take a holistic approach towards education.
Our aim is to enhance the academic, wellbeing and personal growth for all students of all abilities.
We are committed to high-quality education and promoting our vision to unleash the potential we know exists in all our students, by providing a creative and tailor-made curriculum.
Every student is provided with the opportunity to learn, achieve and succeed to their highest potential. Consequently, we work diligently towards meeting the learning needs of our students. This includes encouraging participation in sports, development of essential life skills and nurturing a positive relationship within school and the community.
We believe all staff members play a vital role in the lives of our students. Therefore, we take a proactive approach to the development and wellbeing of all Arco staff. We are committed to investing in all staff through CPD, internal staff support and wellbeing development.
We pride ourselves on appreciating, promoting and celebrating the diversity and individuality of all students, staff and partners.
Arco Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All positions are subject to an enhanced DBS and other necessary checks.
For further information regarding Arco Academy policies, visit https://arco.academy/key-information/policies/#1598282602871-bf232412-6cd3 . Please ensure you have read the Safeguarding (Child Protection) Policy and Safer Recruitment Policy.
As a Personal Assistant, you will be responsible for administrative duties for the Senior Leadership Team (SLT). Your role will include effective management of the SLT diary, minute taking, coordinating school events, maintaining records of students and staff, and liaising with teachers, contractors, advisory board members and other external personnel. You will work closely with the School Administrator in the management of Arco Academy administration, support systems and activities that keep an education intuition running smoothly. To excel in this role, you must be personable, approachable, polite and energetic.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are the main duties and responsibilities but are not intended to be exhaustive:
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring programmes as directed by SLT
- Manage and co-ordinate the school diary of SLT and organise meetings, as appropriate
- Note and coordinate follow-up actions at the end of key meetings and from correspondence
- Maintain and devise office systems, including data management and filing
- First point of contact: dealing with correspondence and phone calls
- Screen phone calls, enquiries and requests, and handle them when appropriate.
- Meet and greet visitors at all levels of seniority
- Manage correspondence, including email
- Take minutes of meetings for example leadership meetings, premises meetings and advisory body meetings, and publish those minutes in a timely fashion
- Draft letters, correspondence and reports for parents, staff, stakeholders to SLT specification
- Organise and facilitate in the upkeep of contacts records of students, staff, contractors, trustees and third parties
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people
- Currently working towards a degree or educated to a degree level
- Operate relevant equipment/ICT packages (e.g., word, excel, databases, spreadsheets, Internet)
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Highly organised
- Personable, approachable, polite and energetic
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to foster constructive relationships with, and gain the confidence of, young people, parents/carers and colleagues
- Exceptional communication with all age groups and abilities, both oral and written
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment independently and as part of a team
- Ability to self-manage, and prioritise workloads effectively using initiative
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and adaptable
- Ability to analyse and revise operating practices to improve efficiency
- Willingness to undertake additional training
- Willingness to support with offsite visits as well as staff and student meetings
Desirable qualities include:
- At least 1 years experience in a similar role
- Current First Aid certificate
- Up to date knowledge of Keeping Children Safe in Education, Safeguarding and GDPR compliance
- Experience/knowledge of Bromcom or other similar school information system
- Knowledge of InVentry system
- Hold an up to date fully enhanced DBS (must have before role commences)